The smell of fresh baked bread is something that I love having in my home, the look of happiness from my family as they sit down to devour it, I love even more. Bread in a home of an Algerian is a must have, spending hours on it not so much. Yes this recipe isn’t a traditional Algerian recipe but it sure is good. Requested by my husband and son all the time this recipe is fast and easy. Just enough crunch on the outside and soft in the middle this bread will be a delightful addition to any table.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar, salt and yeast into lukewarm water. Let it stand for 5 minutes or until the mixture is foamy. This will ensure the yeast is active.
- Add flour and begin mixing to create a rag like texture.
- Scrap from the sides any leftover residue and begin forming a ball.
- Knead dough for a few minutes and cover.
- Preheat oven to 300°F for 1 minute and turn off. Place bowl in oven to let rise.
- Let dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down and let rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butter the bottom of pan that you will be baking the bread in.
- Place dough in pan and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let bread rest for 5 minutes and serve.